What's going on here?

So, what's going on here?

The IU Rugby Club is celebrating its 50th anniversary on September 8. The Mayan calendar "runs out of time" a couple months later, and some believe that this may portend the end of the World. Whether that's the case or not, we intend to make this a celebration for the ages, and have branded this event as the EOTW Celebration.

Being rugby guys, we've got some crazy plans for the weekend. Like a golf tournament, a parade, an "old boys" match against our arch-rival Purdue alumni, and a banquet at the IU Memorial Union, from which the rugby club was once banned. Just a guess, but I think that a couple of our favorite college bars might also see a spike in business.

I've always wanted to do another cross-country ride on my Harley, and just in case the World really does end, I figure I can kill two birds with one rock by riding my bike to the EOTW Celebration from Newport Beach, CA. The round-trip distance of my intended route looks to be just over 5,000 miles, and I'll be travelling through 13 states. So I'll give myself +/- 3 weeks to get'er done.

I plan on making some fun stops along the way, including 6 national parks, and will try and invoke my usual biker travel-habits as much as I can; like taking smaller roads when possible, staying away from chain restaurants, and starting a conversation with a local at each stop. I always learn some interesting stuff this way.

A lot of friends like to follow my travels when I do something crazy like this, and I've found these blogs to be a pretty fun way of sharing a story. If you follow this one, I hope that you enjoy the ride! If you'd like to read about some of my other adventures, just click on one of the links at the bottom right.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Vegas, and Spa Day (for the Harley)

When I first planned my original route, it looked like it was going to be about 5,100 miles, and I had figured that I had enough tread on my back tire to go the distance. Here at Zion, I'm already at 5,700 miles, and I still have another 500 to go.  


My tread is about gone, and the back end had been feeling a little slippery for a while. One thing nice about Harley dealers is that, if you're from out of town and need some service, they will make a real effort to put you at the front of the line in shop.  So, it was spa day for the bike - a new tire, an oil change, new brake-pads front and back, and a wash.


And since I'm in Vegas, maybe I can win enough money at the craps table to pay for all this stuff.  In reality, it turns out that all I have is very expensive rear tire. Ha!


When we were all here for my 50th birthday, the O'Calaghan-Tillman bridge was still under construction. It cost $240 million to build, and at 900 feet above the river, is the 2nd highest bridge in the US (and the longest of its type in the Western hemisphere).  Believe it or not, there's a pedestrian walkway along the top of it - yep, you can walk across it!. For scale, note the size of semi-truck crossing on the left side of the bridge.


Before the bridge, all traffic to and from Arizona had to go over the dam itself. And, since 9/11, there's been a security check-point on each side. The bridge has dramatically reduced the traffic on the dam itself, and made it a much better tourist experience.


Of course, you know the rules. I'd tell you more about my stay here in Vegas, but I'm afraid that I might lose my privileges.

No comments:

Post a Comment